2015 ABRA Rider of the Year
We’re pleased to announce the 2015 Arizona Rider of the Year is Kathryn Bertine (Cylance Pro Cycling)! The Rider of the Year is an annual award given to an Arizona rider based upon their contributions to the sport. Kathryn has played an instrumental role in women’s cycling with her work Half the Road, has helped establish international cycling on St. Kitts and Nevis, and she works with El Grupo Youth Cycling in Tucson. On top of all of this, she manages to find time to train and race!
Thank you Kathryn for all of your hard work in developing cycling both locally and internationally!
Colgate University, BA
University of Arizona, MFA
Pro cyclist with UCI Team Cylance Pro Cycling (2016) and just finished the season with UCI Team BMW/Happy Tooth Dental (2015).
El Grupo Youth Cycling, Media/Marketing/Mentoring coordinator
Author, Activist, Filmmaker… 🙂 My employment is a strange mix
Cycling results (2015):
Caribbean Championships TT: 1st
Caribbean Championships RR: 2nd
UCI Road World Championships TT: 34th
UCI Tour of the Gila TT: 11th
Tucson Bicycle Classic TT: 2nd
Valley of the Sun TT: 7th
Cycling service details
- 2013/14 Lobbies ASO to create a Tour de France for women. (We succeeded, vive La Course!)
- 2013/14/15 Wrote/Directed/Produced HALF THE ROAD, a documentary calling out (and offering solutions to) the inequities of women’s pro cycling.
- 2014 Published essay collection, “The Road Less Taken” to provide insight into the world of women’s pro cycling.
- 2014/15 Created Richmond Athlete Housing to provide free host housing for athletes of all underfunded nations attending World Championships.
- 2015 Board Member, Women’s Cycling Association
- 2015 Grant writer/outreach coordinator for El Grupo Youth Cycling, to help keep our community’s kids on bikes.